Good Booze – Great Price
At $4.49 with some juicy berry flavors and aromas this is a terrific value for the casual Merlot “by the tumbler” drinker. Pretty darn good party wine by the case as well. We tasted this one Six Ways. Check our review notes below for the best approach but the conclusion is that this wine won’t last long on the counter or overnight. Pop it open and pour. Note that this Costco deal ends in March and they usually run out of these sort of “blowout” deals rapidly. Cheers.
Price Paid – $4.49 (through March, 2018 or while supplies last)
Date Reviewed – 2/14/18
Where Purchased – Costco SF Bay Area
Varietal or Type – Merlot
Vintage Year – 2015
Appellation – California
Winery/Brand – Blackstone Winery
Bottle Size – 750 ML
Alcohol – 13.5%
Cork? – Composition
Pour it and taste –
– Reg. Red Wine Glass: Some berry aromas. Juicy berry flavors. Small tannins on the finish.
– Cabernet Sauvignon Glass: Bigger berry aromas. Juicy berry flavors. Some smooth tannins on the finish.
– Reg. Red Wine Glass: More berry aromas than than before. Juicy berries, smooth. Easy finish
– Cabernet Sauvignon Glass: Cherry and berry aromas. Smooth, fading juicy berries. Very smooth
– Reg. Red Wine Glass: Bit of sulfur in the nose. Smooth but the flavors have faded.
– Cabernet Sauvignon Glass: Pretty flat but smooth. Generic red wine.
Overall – Decent red with some juicy berry fruit, but it does not linger or last long. Enjoy in a regular red glass or even a Cab Sauv glass but drink it tonight. It’s not going to have much after some hours. Skip the aerator and the decanter.
Copyright 2018 Chandelle of Sonoma, Inc. All Rights Reserved